Section l — General Rules
1. The Optimist International Oratorical Content will have only one level.
2. Contestants must register using the official application form from their school or center.
3. The contests are combined gender contests.
Section II — Qualifications for Contestants
1. The Hong Kong Contest is open to contestants from ages 6 to 11.
2. Each contestant shall prepare his or her own speech. The contestant may receive advice in the preparation of the speech and may make minor
changes or improvements in the speech at any time.
3. All contestants must show proof of age before competing with a HKID card, passport or official school handbook.
4. A printed copy of the speech must be furnished either before or after the speech.
Section III — Contest Rules
1. All contestants must speak on the official topic.
2. The speech must be delivered in English.
3. All contestants must state the official topic in the first sentence of the speech.
4. Timing will begin at the first word spoken. Timing will stop when the contestant finishes.
5. Notes and lecterns can be used.
6. The time allowed will be not under two minutes and not over three minutes. Contestants going under or over will not be cautioned, and will be
penalized for doing so. This penalty will be determined by the official timekeeper.
7. The Contest Chairperson will decide all protests in accordance with the official rules. The decision of the Contest Chair is final and no higher appeals
will be recognized.
Section IV — Scoring Criteria
1. Poise – appearance and personality: 20 points
2. Content of Speech – subject adherence, theme, content, logic and color: 20 point
3. Delivery & Presentation – voice, volume, pronunciation, gestures, eye contact, sincerity and emphasis: 40 points
4. Overall Effectiveness – appeal, impression, attitude and effect: 20 points
Section V — Scoring Penalties
1. Failure to announce title – 3 points
2. Time penalties – 2 point for each 15 seconds or fraction of over or under the allotted time
Section VI — Awards
1. Winners – Trophy & certificate of participation inclusive of written feedback on the oratory piece
2. All participants – Certificate of participation inclusive of written feedback on the oratory piece